Re: Sharon Centanne's STOP CHENEY email to list

Lucinda wrote:
>I just don't understand archivists wanting to remain above
>the fray of current political discussion about vitally important
governmental
>decisions that affect our jobs and facilities long-term.

if the discussion were truly based upon facts, objectivity and directly
involved the archival profession than no problem. IIRC correctly there was a
very serious discussion several years ago when concerning WJC's appointment
of John Carlin as a the Archivist of the United States. Also recall the
discussion last spring early summer concerning the Adams Mark Hotel and the
Denver conference.

>I'm puzzled by the attitude that
>politics are separate from archives.  They are directly related to each
>other--look at how archives resolve or clarify or complicate historical
>debates by providing factual or conflicting or stunning new information to
>the discussion.

The archivist/archives does not resolve/clarify or complicate historical
debates rather they provide the material that can, however, it is up to the
historian, the political scientist or whomever to do the interpretation not
the archivists. In this day and age when funding can be tight or someone is
seeking the donation of a critical archive to their institution the
intrusion of politics may result in the loss of funding or the donation of
material. Thus IMHO the archivist must remain neutral when it comes to
politics.

If politics must be discussed then at least be objective not subjective.
Emotional factless announcements (or announcements that don't present both
sides) serve no purpose

Peter A. Kurilecz CRM, CA
Manager, Records Management Group
Woodside Summit Group Inc