Re: NAFTA rules

Hi,

On Thu, 31 May 2001, Coghill, Bob wrote:

> First of all, many thanks to all of those who sent me quotes about
> archives/archivists.  When I've complete the list, I'll send it to the
> contributors.
>
> NAFTA
> I am a Canadian citizen, currently working in Ontario.  Although I am
not working as an archivist (I'm a teacher), I have just completed the
Archival Science program at the Faculty of Information Studies at the
University of Toronto.  I am a member of the Society of American
Archivists.  I am considering employment as an archivist in the USA.  I
remember reading that a Master of Information Studies degree was on the
NAFTA list, making me eligilbe to work in the US.  I no longer have the
document that outlined the list of qualifying degrees/occupations, etc.
[snip]

Here are some sources for info on folks with the MLIS, MLS, etc, degrees
wanting to work in the US, plus some general sites on NAFTA:

http://www.dfait-maeci.gc.ca/nafta-alena/menu-e.asp
http://www.visaus.com/tnfaq.html
http://www.geocities.com/cdn_moose/CanLib.htm
http://immigration.about.com/newsissues/immigration/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.travel.state.gov%2Ftn_visas.html
http://www.fims.uwo.ca/employment/employment_in_usa.htm
http://immigration.about.com/newsissues/immigration/ [click on Green
Cards/Visas]
http://www.naftafyi.com/

As to working in the US as an archivist -- it can be done.  We've had a
few of our MAS graduates obtains US-based archival/records management
positions [unlike FIS at Toronto our archival students get the separate MAS
degree rather than the "common" MIS.  However, I believe the
paperwork/process is significantly more complex than for those with some
version of the MLIS degree.

Hope this helps,

Susie

Mary Sue Stephenson
Senior Instructor & Coordinator of Information Technology
School of Library, Archival and Information Studies
The University of British Columbia
Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z1
604.822-6392 [voice]  604.822.6006 [fax]