Aquisition Policy approval

Dear Archivists,
I am starting up an archives for a small university. I have written the
draft of an aquisitions policy which I present to the Dean of the Library
tomorrow. My question is this: should we present the final aquisition policy
to the university Board of Trustees? Or, form a library committee to review
it? I understand that  the policy needs some kind of authority behind it in
order to be enforceable. My research has shown me that other universities
have had their board approve their policy. However, from my inventory of our
archives, many of the collections [odd boxes] that I wish to discourage in
the future have come from trustees. Does this argue the case for the Board
approval, or are there steps in the process needed to prepare them before
the policy is brought up. The Archives will experience a space shortage very
quickly [in fact it is already upon us] if we continue to accept these attic
donations rather than a collecting focus.
Thank you for sharing your experience with me. I appreciate it.
Elizabeth Happy
ehappy@regis.edu