Re: Moving a Collection

Nicole:

I agree with all of Mr. Sokolow's recommendations.  It sounds like he had a
very good company to call on in his emergency.  Find out who they are.
Perhaps that firm has a branch in your locality, or can recommend another
company.  I've had some unpleasant experiences with moving, myself, so I'll
expand on his remarks.

1.  You MUST meet with a supervisor from the moving service and explain your
requirements in detail.  But the chances are excellent that whatever you
discuss with said supervisor won't go any farther, and the crew that
actually shows up will not have a clue.  So if possible, get a written
contract that states the mover's promises.

2.  Make sure that the move is scheduled on a day that the mover's offices
are open, i.e.: Not on a weekend.  If a problem does arise, you want to be
able to get help immediately.

3.  The moving crew will have a schedule, and will not want to do anything
they consider "unusual", such as keeping things out of the wet, or treating
fragile items with respect.  Be firm.  Point to the provisions of the
contract. If they can't or won't stick by the agreement, then tell them
you'll have to reschedule the move for another day.  The inconvenience of
rescheduling, or even finding a different mover, pales in comparison to what
can happen if you let yourself be railroaded.

4.  Don't expect the movers either to take or to deliver books or boxes in
any particular order, unless that's specified in your contract!  Most movers
are Not accustomed to doing so.  If you pack the boxes yourself, be sure to
label them  clearly (box numbers, call numbers, shelf numbers, whatever it
takes.)  If they do the packing, make sure they do the same or there will be
unspeakable consequences.

5.  I've heard about moves that relied on book carts/trucks.  Is your move
from one space to another within the same building?  Personally, I've found
that the carts perform badly on uneven surfaces like sidewalks, and curbs.
If you go this route, also be certain that you have enough sheets of plastic
to protect each cart from the rain.  You do know it's going to rain, don't
you?

6.  Not only MUST you be there to watch the moving crew like a hawk, you
must bring reinforcements.  Never suppose you can do this alone: they
outnumber you.  This is particularly important if the move will involve more
than one delivery run.  In that case, some things will still be in the
process of packing/loading while others are being are delivered. You'll need
reliable personnel at both locations.  If you work alone, then get friends
to help you. [PI Recommendation: Unless you possess those enviable
qualities, a commanding presence and voice, consider putting a large man on
your team to intimidate the crew on your behalf.]

Best of luck, Nicole.

Cordially,

Judy Robins,
Collections Supervisor,
Wood Library-Museum of Anesthesiology
520 N. Northwest Highway
Park Ridge, IL  60068-2573

Tel:  847-825-5586

Fax:  847-825-1692

e-mail:  j.robins@ASAHQ.org

*  The views expressed in this message do not necessarily reflect the
policies of The Wood Library-Museum of Anesthesiology.