Re: NUCMC Search Question

I think this is a funtion of the way information is entered in a record, not whether it is an OCLC or RLIN record. I just played with NUCMC, and found some records in OCLC that did have a location field (search for the name Daubenspeck, for example), and some in RLIN that didn't have a location field (a letter by Robert Filmore, for example). With either database, if there is no obvious location field,  the user has to understand where to find the code of the cataloging institution (040 field of the tagged display in OCLC--this is explained on the OCLC search page--, first four letters of the control number in RLIN) and how to translate it to a repository name.

Christine Crawford-Oppenheimer
Special Collections Librarian/Archivist

Culinary Institute of America
1946 Campus Drive
Hyde Park, NY  12538
(845) 451-1757
c_crawfo@culinary.edu

>>> "John C. Kelly" <jckelly2@UNO.EDU> 06/20/01 12:47PM >>>
Greetings.

I have tried using the NUCMC Z39.50 Gateway to OCLC MSS Records
<http://lcweb.loc.gov/coll/nucmc/nucmc.html> but have noticed a curious
thing:  The results do not show the name or location of the repository
that has the collections retrieved.  I tried with several different
searches, but the same thing happened.  The RLIN section does post
location information.  I was able to get on WorldCat and find out that
information, but not everyone has access to that.  Has anyone else
experienced this problem?  Is it by design or a flaw?
Thanks.