merging university archives with manuscripts

My university's University Archives and Records Management program has
recently been subsumed within our university library.  The library also
has a manuscript collection in our special collections.  We are housed
in separate buildings so there won't be any immediate changes except
budget issues and getting the UA collections in the library catalog.

A new library building is currently being designed and should be
occupied within 4-10 years [the joys of being a state institution!] and
we're expecting the administrators to begin considering combining our
two collections physically and  administratively.  The missions and
methods of the UA and the special collection are very different and
wouldn't be appropriate to combine on an administrative level, but
certain individuals in university administration don't seem to
understand the differences (or know what RM is).

Has anyone effectively argued against merging similar programs?  For
those that have a combined program, what are the pros and cons?

Kathy Staley