Re: A rose by any other name? I don't think so!

I guess I will answer this one. I have been an archivist and have set up small archives and am now a librarian.  There are many things that I have learned as a librarian that would have helped as an archivist and vis a versa but they are very different-not that they cannot work together to get things done and do a better job in both cases.
An archivist must understand their collection and the needs for that collection, very specific and sometimes difficult but a librarian must be more of a generalist and be able to help everyone with with diverse questions.  I will agree that a librarian can be put into almost any library and cope but could not cope with an archives unless they were familiar with that collection, its management or its patrons.  I am sure that someone in this group can come up with a great one liner to use.  The idea of clarifying the place of an archivist as different from a librarian must be is validated with your superiors, I agree that that must be done.
Good luck, the comment would have upset me too in the context it was in.

Joan Goodbody
Lecturer
Humanities Social Sciences
Reference Services