Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2001 9:57 AM
Subject: A rose by any other name? I don't think so!

Hi all.

I thought I'd toss this one out to you since we've been without a discussion thread for a bit and since I'm completely peeved at the moment.

I had an experience yesterday when someone--uninformed about libraries and archives--asked me if archivists were a subset of librarians.  As I answered, "No, they are different."  I was countered by two librarians who chimed in and offered, "No, they're essentially the same thing."  As we were in a meeting, I was unable to call these individuals on the comment, but . . .

My question for my fellow archivists out there is this:  Do you see yourself distinct from librarians?  And (I'm certainly assuming so) how would you counter that comment?

Susan

---
Susan Hamson
Archivist

Othmer Library of Chemical History
Chemical Heritage Foundation
315 Chestnut Street
Philadelphia, PA  19106-2702
Voice: 215-925-2222
Fax: 215-925-6195

The views expressed in this message are those of the author and not necessarily those of the Chemical Heritage Foundation.