Re: A rose by any other name? I don't think so!

My view on this question is that the while definitions of Archivists and Librarians clearly are different the duties vary based on the organization where one works. I work extensively with Archives even though I still consider myself based on my educational background as a Librarian.

 I believe there is an assumption that just because your collection has historical materials that it makes you an Archivist.  What is not helping the situation is perpetual lack of understanding that special educational requirements are even needed to be successful for both occupations.  Clearly what both occupations share is this lack of knowledge from others about the  roles.  Educating others is key.

Shirley Derrick, MLIS
Assistant Records and Information Manager
Briggs & Stratton Corporation

 >>> "Hamson, Susan" <susanh@CHEMHERITAGE.ORG> 07/19/01 09:57AM >>>
Hi all.

I thought I'd toss this one out to you since we've been without a discussion
thread for a bit and since I'm completely peeved at the moment.

I had an experience yesterday when someone--uninformed about libraries and
archives--asked me if archivists were a subset of librarians.  As I
answered, "No, they are different."  I was countered by two librarians who
chimed in and offered, "No, they're essentially the same thing."  As we were
in a meeting, I was unable to call these individuals on the comment, but . .
.

My question for my fellow archivists out there is this:  Do you see yourself
distinct from librarians?  And (I'm certainly assuming so) how would you
counter that comment?

Susan
---
Susan Hamson
Archivist <?xml:namespace prefix = o />

Othmer Library of Chemical History
Chemical Heritage Foundation
315 Chestnut Street
Philadelphia, PA  19106-2702
Voice: 215-925-2222
Fax: 215-925-6195

The views expressed in this message are those of the author and not
necessarily those of the Chemical Heritage Foundation.