Preserving spiral notebooks

Good morning!

I'm hoping I can draw on your expertise and elicit some advise on
preservation.

The family of a late faculty member of our department is considering
donating his notes and materials to our department for future research
purposes, so a group of graduate students and faculty are preparing a
proposal for the preservation and archival of the potential collection.

Among the materials are spiral notebooks with extensive writing that could
be of great interest to future researchers.  We are concerned about how to
preserve the notebooks, however, since they already are showing signs of
wear.  Some are over 20 years old, and rust marks from the wire spirals
are
appearing on the paper.

Could anyone offer advice on how to preserve these notebooks?

Thank you very much for your time and assistance!

Sincerely,
Jessie

Jessie Moore Kapper
PhD Student in Rhetoric and Composition