Re: Numbering glossy prints.

Yes, smudging can result with especially soft graphite ("lead") even with
some No.2's -- all graphite mixes are not equal!

However, if writing is done on conventional photo (pulp based papers, and
done with light pressure, there is less graphite deposited and therefore
less chance of smudging. The smudging can be a problem if you happen to be a
"southpaw" such as myself, but...

My experience in using No.2 or even softer pencils on the backs of
resin-coated modern photopapers has shown less smudging. Either the paper
takes the slightly-dulled pencil mark well, or not at all well.

I was pleased to see the reminder by one of our colleagues that the use of
mylar photo sleeves negated most of the potential for wear and tear on image
and cataloging/titling marks.

Kevin V. Bunker
Student Assistant
California State Archives