help needed response

I've actually just come out of a similar situation. I was hired as an
archivist fresh out of graduate school, and for several months I was an
archivist. However, the organization was fairly new and without such
essentials as a board and a director. By default, I took on all of the
duties (just myself and an intern trying to change the world), which meant
learning things the hard way. Two years later the funding ran dry, and I am
at a new position as an archivist. The collection at my old location is
temporarily closed, though I am still officially the administrator.
What inevitably evolved was that I spent my normal eight hour day doing
administrative work, i.e. working phones, meetings, conferences, etc., with
my "Director" hat on, then I spent an extra twenty hours or so a week being
an archivist. After two years I was burned out and realized I wasn't having
any fun. What evolved was a very slippery slope of personally taking on more
of the expenses and responsibilities of the organization without any
compensation.
My situation was somewhat unique in many respects that are too long to get
into here, but my suggestion is to be careful and to understand the new role
and responsibilites you might take upon yourself. There is a reason why
administrators and archivists play separate roles. Both are tedious and
time-consuming positions, so it may not be a matter of being able to perform
the jobs as much as there not being enough time in the day.

Good luck!
Neil Dahlstrom

Neil Dahlstrom
Technical Services Archivist