Re: Help needed - promotion(?) opportunity

Another viewpoing: If you become the Director and the Archivist position is unfunded, you could pursue funding possibilities to reopen that position. You know what is needed there and are in a good position to direct those efforts, *IF* you are so inclined!

>>> Thomas Berry <tberry@HCEA.NET> 08/03 10:50 AM >>>
Good morning!

For those of you who are unfamiliar with my situation, I am the "lone
arranger" for a non-profit organization.

Our Managing Director has submitted his resignation, and I've been
approached about taking his place. Our Board meets next Thursday to discuss
the situation, and I'd like to be able to make some sort of statement or
presentation of my position then. My instinct is to go for it, but I'm not
entirely at peace with myself about it or, should I pursue it, how to do so.
I'm primarily concerned about just how much I'm willing to take on, the
impact that having my time and efforts channeled into this new position will
have on our collections, and what the appropriate method of expressing my
interest in the position would be.

I've been asked to draw up a job description for a combined position of both
Managing Director and Archivist. I have no experience in managing a
non-profit and we've never had a full-time Managing Director or any formal
job description for either that position or mine, so the whole thing is
unexplored country for both me and the HCEA. Are any of you out there in
that kind of combined position, and if so, would you be kind enough to
advise me on how you blend the jobs? I'm also open to advice from anyone on
any aspects of this situation.

Thanks in advance for all assistance given.

Best wishes,

Thomas Berry, Archivist
Historical Construction Equipment Association
16623 Liberty Hi Road
Bowling Green, Ohio 43402
Phone 419-352-5616
Fax 419-352-6086