Re: scanning fees

I've been 'round and 'round with this issue myself, both internally and with
a few colleagues.  And we have had prior discussion on the Listserve.  I,
too, would appreciate that comments be posted to the list for the benefit of
all.

My primary concern with regard to digitizing images continues to be
preventing future duplication and use of the image.  If I provide a scanned
image, I put heavy restrictions on it use -- no further duplication, use for
a specific purpose only, no manipulation of the image, no removal of the
"embedded" credit line, etc.  I know that I don't always have a way to
monitor whether those restrictions are violated, but I'm putting them there
to let people know what I'm requiring in exchange for their request.  And
yes, I recognize that providing a traditional photographic reprint isn't a
guarantee that that won't happen anyway, but it is so much easier for
someone to steal the digital image.

As to cost, I'm in favor of a higher cost rather than a lower one to help
cover the cost of stolen images (i.e., those re-used without my knowledge
for which I would otherwise have charged a use fee).  As a guideline,  I
have set my "production fee" for providing a digital image at $25.00.  This
is about the equivalent cost the user would have had to pay if they had
asked for a photo reprint (my cost plus 30% for having a reproduction
negative made from my vintage print).  "Use fees" are additional and depend
on ultimate format and use of the image.

IIT is a private university and our collection and services are not required
to be made available to the public the way a state university of public
repository's are.  Furthermore, the IIT Archives does not have a separate
budget line, so I consider this an important -- even if minimal -- source of
"revenue" to off-set the high cost of maintaining the Archives which is
absorbed by the university library.

I hope others will comment.  Thanks.

Catherine Bruck
University Archivist