Re: scanning fees

At the University of Utah Marriott Library Special Collections, we
charge $5 for a scan; if someone wants a thermal image print, we
charge a further $5, for a total of $10.  That's just for the scan; our
use fees, rush fees, and so on are posted on our website at

http://www.lib.utah.edu/spc/photo

under the link "Forms."  As for delivery, we have the same
restrictions; nothing over 1mgb goes through our email, so the only
thing we can send that way are low-resolution scans for review.
Otherwise they have to be on a CD or zip disk, for which we charge
appropriately.  We do provide high-resolution scans, although we
first make the patron provide us with a signed "Permission to
Publish" form, even if they aren't publishing it, because with a high-
rez scan they could.

Dealing with all of this reminds me of the old Manuscripts Librarian,
who retired not long after I started here in 1983.  As she walked out
the door she said "I'm glad I'm retiring now so I don't have to deal
with these stupid computers."  Amen, Della Dye, wherever you are!

Roy Webb, C.A.
Multimedia Archivist
Special Collections
J. Willard Marriott Library