Re: Question for corporate archives

Neil,

I had a far more extensive site on our intranet at McGraw-Hill than I ever
did on the public site.  The main reason was I had control over what I
wanted to put on or take off.  I had my own password to the intranet for my
own area, so I could do whatever I wanted  (within reason, of course).  I
had a timeline  - I borrowed the design from the Firestone site, with the
left to right scrolling; lists of some materials in the archives, lists of
CEOs/chairmen, bios of the founders, and rotating exhibits.  I rotated about
3-4 times a year, focusing on a different division, magazine title, whatnot,
and those were the best uses of archival materials because I could keep it
fresh.

It's a great PR tool, and it's a way to get your message across to a wide
spectrum of employees around the company.  One of the keys, though, was to
make sure your additions & changes get some publicity.  My department
happened to be connected fairly tightly to the New Media people, so every
time I added a new exhibit, they would give me a link on their "what's new"
section right smack in the middle of the Intranet home page.  Intranet pages
will only serve a purpose if it's seen, so you want to make sure you can get
the word around.

Be aware that an Intranet site is as limited as any other internet page; it
can only go so far to get across what you do, and it probably isn't ideal as
a way to get actual archival materials used by the company.  It serves best,
to my mind, as a constant reminder of the longevity, values, history, and
people that make the organization what it is.

DS

Daniel Sokolow, Archives Coordinator
David Taylor Archives
North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System
155 Community Drive
Great Neck, NY 11021