Re: Archivist and Librarian

Kim - my initial comment was pointed at the fact that the lead line of the
article was something to the effect that you were proud to be a librarian,
yet the bulk of the article was mostly about the archival nature of your
work.  Even the name of your company has the word "archive" in it.  It just
seemed like a major disconnect on the writer's part when I was reading the
article, that's all.     ttfn - Jill  ;->

Jill L Schneider
USGS - Alaska Technical Data Unit
907-786-7457
jschnidr@usgs.gov
http://minerals.usgs.gov/west/alaska.html

                    Kimberly Schroeder
                    <kschroeder@ARCHIVEI        To:     ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
                    MPACT.COM>                  cc:
                    Sent by: Archives &         Subject:     Archivist and Librarian
                    Archivists
                    <ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.M
                    UOHIO.EDU>

                    08/24/2001 08:56 AM
                    Please respond to
                    Kimberly Schroeder

Hello Everyone!

I cannot tell you how odd it is to me to see discussions about me on the
Listserve but I did have to make one clarification.

When I taught at San Jose State last year, it was for the Library Science
school and was a Library Science class so I did not focus on archival work.
I also lecture on Archival work, but it is usually separate from Library
Science teaching.

The bulk of my staff has both the librarianship and archival graduate work.
We do both.  We perform the librarian and archival function for
collections.  I do not think that the two have to be mutually exclusive as
long as you recognize that they have different training.  I love that I can
take an archival collection through appraisal, rehousing, reformatting, and
finding aid creation all the way through indexing and representing it on
the web.  Many of us multitask in these financially tight professions.

There is a great allied brain skill in both librarianship and archival
work.  Some of us are lucky enough to be able to do both and I am excited
about that.  Many of us in these fields have a strong quest for learning
and knowledge and that is the best part of it!

So, yes, I am a Librarian  but I am also a historian, cataloger, indexer,
Archivist, and preservationist.

I think it would be great if we all got more involved with our local media
to better explain what it is those labels represent so that journalists and
the public better understood our skills.  The listserve has brought up a
very important point.  I hope that we continue on this thought...The ALA
Listserve is currently having a discussion on Librarians and their Image
labels.

Kim Schroeder
Archive Impact
1-888-IMPACT1
Asset Management & Design
Archival Services   Indexing     Encoding
www.archiveimpact.com

NOW AVAILABLE "American Scrapbook, Detroit Memories, Volume 1"
An Interactive Educational CD on life in the Urban America, 1900-1939