From: Alan Haeberle [mailto:Alan_Haeberle@HATCH.SENATE.GOV]
Sent: Friday, August 24, 2001 2:25 PM
To: ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject: Fwd:Pamphlets--saved for Friday

    I forwarded several of the pamphlet titles recently shared with a friend
who
passed them on to a friend of hers, who with admirable diligence and
enterprise
went on to do a bibliographic search of all the titles, results of which are
appended.
    He found quite a few other titles by several of the authors.  In
addition,
while looking over the results, I realized that M. L. Weems, author of "The
drunkard's looking glass" has to be none other than Mason Locke Weems a/k/a
Parson Weems, most well known for his haigiographic and highly inventive
biography of George Washington, in which he created the fable of the cherry
tree.

____________________Forward Header_____________________
Subject:    Pamphlets

> Handbook for the Limbless (by George Hawson, 1921

This is my favorite of the lot by far, but alas, I can't find any
reference to it.  Anyone have a copy?

> The drunkard's looking glass ; reflecting a faithful likeness of the
> drunkard  <etc. etc. . . .> / by M.L. Weems.
> 8th ed.  Baltimore : Printed for Mrs. F.M. Weems (widow of the author),
> 1843.  Price twenty-five cents.

Weems must've been a fun guy.  Here are some of his other titles I
found:

 God's revenge against duelling, or, The duellists looking glass:
 exhibiting that gentlemanly mode of turning the corner,
 in features altogether novel and admirably calculated to
 entertain and instruct the American youth.

 God's revenge against gambling: exemplified in the miserable lives
 and untimely deaths of a number of persons of both sexes, who had
 sacrificed their health, wealth, and honor at gaming tables.

 The bad wife's looking glass; or, God's revenge against cruelty to
husbands.

 God's revenge against adultery, awfully exemplified in the following
cases of American crim. con. I. The accomplished Dr. Theodore Wilson,
(Delaware)who is seducing Mrs. Nancy Wiley, had his brains blown out by her
husband.
 II. The elegant James O'Neale, esq. (North Carolina,) who for seducing
the beautiful Miss Matilda L'Estrange, was killed by her brother.

 God's revenge against murder, or, the drown'd wife: a tragedy, lately
performed, with unbounded applause, (of the devil and his court) by Ned
Findley,
Esquire, one of the grand company of tragedians in service of the Black
Prince.

> I'm in Bed with the President and Mao Tse Tung is Knocking at the Door
(the
American dream of an American girl)
> by A.M. Ducovny, Port Washington, N.Y., Ashley books, 1971

Ducovny also wrote:

 Wisdom of Spiro T. Agnew; a collection of original sayings.

 How to shoot a Jewish western.

 I want to make one thing perfectly clear; the illuminations of Richard
M. Nixon.

> Handbook for the Limbless (by George Hawson, 1921)

Sorry, I gave up too soon.  While the LOC doesn't have this, I did
find it mentioned in "A Bibliography of Great War Medicine",
by Dr. Andrew Bamji, MB FRCP,
<http://raven.cc.ukans.edu/~kansite/ww_one/medical/bam_bib.htm>.
He attributes it to G. Howson.