Re: Question about Reference questions

One good way to go with reference questions is to cumulate the questions
and answers into a database that can serve online FAQs, particularly if
you are preparing the answers using a computer (even if you mail them)
and can gather them into a database as you go. Of course the answers to
reference questions may age to some degree and need revisiting on a
regular basis, but this permits not only a saving of labor but also a
way of documenting both stats on reference activity and a longitudinal
picture of evolving research interests, which is vital to the
increasingly necessary cost-benefit analyses that we have to do.
Further, it helps us do what we do too rarely, which is document our own
work (what a concept!). It can even be called by the fancy name of
knowledge engineering (i.e. picking the brains of knowledgeable
employees in case they get run over in the street).
Pat Galloway
GSLIS
University of Texas-Austin