Re: Friday Funnies...a bit early

You will be happy to know that both in my talk "Are Your Ancestors in an Archive?" and my book _Long-Distance Genealgy_, I emphasize that librarians and archivists (not to mention courthouse personnel, etc.) are trying to do too much work with too few people, and you'll get a much better response to your query if you ask a simple straightforward question than if they have to plow through six pages about the time when your gr-gr-gr-grandmother hid the money in the outhouse, but Sherman's troops found it anyway, etc., to get, finally, to your question on page six of the letter (especially if the question is "Send me everything you have about the Schreckengost family" !!)

Christine Crawford-Oppenheimer
Special Collections Librarian/Archivist

Culinary Institute of America
1946 Campus Drive
Hyde Park, NY  12538
(845) 451-1757
c_crawfo@culinary.edu

>>> "Dostie, Arthur" <Arthur.Dostie@STATE.ME.US> 08/31/01 10:25AM >>>
"In my other job at a historical society the vast majority of researchers
are
genealogists.  And yes, there are times when I have to prevent my eyes from
rolling back into my head as they describe each and every person in their
entire family tree before they get to the point as to just what it is they
are looking for from me (although I have gotten better at halting the litany
and pushing them to the bottom line)."