Re: Acid-free materials sold in stores - Clarification

Susan,

First, would you mind sharing the helpful responses you get? I'm giving a
similar 'preservation of your family photos' talk next month, and this would
be helpful. :)

Second, the way I am approaching materials purchased at general stores and
even archival suppliers is to test the material yourself. I'm providing
attendee with a Ph testing pen & going over the easy steps to test papers.
I'm also going to share with them about what types of photo storage are good
for what types of situations. For instance (remember - this is for people at
home, not our institution) :) some people may want to put their photos in a
magnetic photo album if they are creating something for a special reason at
a special, limited, time. Others may have photos that the only place they
can keep them is in a place where humidity isn't very controlled - they
wouldn't want to put their photos in sleeves with 3 sides closed b/c it
would trap the moisture in. And so forth.

I do plan on providing the attendees with the 'ideal', but people want to
know what they 'really' can do with the money & time constraints they have.
Because I can get the catalogs for free, I'm also sending them home with a
catalog from each of the major archival/museum suppliers. Of course, I'm
also going to say that not everything in all the catalogs are the best thing
for collections, but it gives them a starting point, at least. :)

Hope that helps! I'm sure you already thought of much of this.

Bridgette

Bridgette A. Kelly, Special Collections Manager
Stan Hywet Hall & Gardens
714 N. Portage Path
Akron, OH  44303
ph: 330-315-3232   fax: 330-836-2680
BKelly@stanhywet.org   www.stanhywet.org

Mark your calendars! We are preparing for one of the country's best arts and
crafts festivals--The Wonderful World of Ohio Mart, October 4-7, 2001!