Re: Acid-free materials sold in stores

Speaking of photographs.....

I am in the middle of processing photographs.  One group is stored in
separate "folders" of acid free paper.  The backs of all these photos have a
tacky residue on them, possibly they were removed from one of those
"magnetic" albums.  I have tried removing the residue with a document
cleaning pad, with "Skum-X" and using a soft eraser, all with negligible
results.

Two questions:

Is there a way to remove this tacky residue?

If not, should I leave them as they are in the acid free sleeves or can I
put them in photo sleeves in an album (In that whatever this tacky stuff is,
it is likely acidic, and sticking them in plastic sleeves might hasten any
degeneration) or is there another, better alternative?  At some time in the
past the vast majority of photographs were housed in acid free envelopes.
The collection does not get a lot of traffic and is only accessible by
limited staff, the fact that the envelopes are not really visually friendly
has not been a major problem.  But for future housing I am moving towards
more user friendly housing--transparent sleeves and albums.

Any help appreciated.

Joanne M. Seitter
Archivist
Curtis Institute of Music