Re: Automating Vertical File Indexes

Access will dance and sing if you learn how to utilize it properly.
However, I too have experienced the frustration of wanting to put parts of
our agency-wide database (written in Access 97) out for intranet and/or
internet searching.  I'm told by OUR systems people that I must let them
translate to Oracle, which means never having truly current information out
there.  So I can't see any reason to do it at all, since outdated
information on which people rely is (IMO) the internet's worst drawback.

Access gives me a powerful database that I can tweak at will, to meet my
staff's needs.  Therefore, I think it's wonderful.  But if one of your
absolute requirements is on-line searching via an internet portal, I can't
recommend it.  That is what it will NOT do, in my experience.

Nina M. Osier, Director
Division of Records Management Services
Maine State Archives