Re: [Fwd: [BuffaloHistory] Fwd: NPR-McKinley Assassination]

I hope that Reporter Westervelt won't be using the "recording" of President
McKinley at the Pan-American Exposition, as McKinley.

Despite their labeling, none of the recordings are actually the President,
but an actor named Spencer.  According to Brian Rust's discography, Len
Spencer recorded McKinley's speech at the opening of the Pan-American
Exposition on February 1902, for Columbia.  He made a Victor recording on
April 17, 1903. And, someone listed as Harry Spencer recited McKinley's
address in May 1902, also for Columbia.

For more information on this and other questionable recordings go to:
www.wnyc.org. Then go to "Quick Links", scroll to and click on "Studio 360".
Then click on "archive show" and look for the June 2, 2001 program, the
report is: "Radio Imposters".

Andy Lanset, Archivist
WNYC Radio
1 Centre Street