speaking of copyright

This morning I awoke to a conversation on the radio about a local costume
rental store that just lost a $100,000 copyright lawsuit to PBS because the
store had been renting unauthorized Barney costumes made by the store. The
DJ's were defending the store, saying that it was only a costume and that no
harm came from it. In my early morning slumber I called the station and
tried to point out on the air how the case was a matter of ownership, and
that because the store was profiting from the unlicensed and unauthorized
product, that they were breaking the law. After trying several analogies,
the DJ's lost interest and finally likened the situation to "What if I
wanted to paint my car to look like the General Lee?", to which my only
frustrated response was that I'd love to see it.

Once again I see how the general public has little concept of such issues,
and liken it to the corporate world trying to destroy ma and pop outfits.

Not a Friday funny, but basking in the glory of my fifteen minutes of radio
fame.

Neil

Neil Dahlstrom
Technical Services Archivist