Central Sprinkler Company Details Voluntary Program To Replace potentially defective 35 Million O-Ring Sprinklers --cross-posted ARCHIVES,ConsDistList ExLibris,

Since I don't monitor all these listservs religiously, I apologize if this
information has already appeared.

I just received notice of this replacement program although the
information is dated July 200l.  The program involves 33 million "wet
"sprinklers with O-ring seals manufactured by Central and approximately
101, "on-off sprinklers "used in wet systems sold by Gem Sprinkler Co. and
another 66,000 dry sprinklers manufactured by Star Sprinkler, Inc.  The
company will replace the 0-ring sprinklers which "can degrade over time "
with Belleville seal sprinkler heads which use a metallic "spring seal to
maintain a watertight seal. "  To cover your costs for replacement
labor..., " they " will either perform the replacement work ourselves or
contract with an authorized sprinkler installer to perform the replacement
work."    A detailed brochure on the Voluntary Replacement Program which
will help you determine if you have an O-Ring installation that needs
replacement is available in hard copy from Central Sprinkler Company
Replacement Program, PO Box 5005, Lansdale, PA 19446 .  A web based
version of this information is available at
http://www.sprinklerreplacement.com/
and a special customer service phone number has been established at
1-866-505-8553 to assist you with identifying the potentially defective heads.

I applaud the responsible manner in which Central is acting in this matter.

Richard Strassberg
Kheel Director
Kheel Center for Labor-Management Documentation & Archives
Martin P. Catherwood Library, Cornell University
227 Ives Hall
Ithaca, NY 14853-3901
Telephone: 607-255-3183
Fax: 607-255-9641