Re: On-line auctions

Nina wrote:
>>I remember signing such a contract, but I would still not wish to see what
were once my personal family items on eBay.  This is just my own reaction,
but I offer it because I suspect other people in the same position share it
(and at the time I made that donation, eBay didn't exist).<<

Donation agreements are a contract as such they are negotiable. All parties
must be in agreement as to what is in the contract. Each clause must be
explained and the donating parties must understand what each clause means.
If you as a donor are reluctant to donate because the institution can
deaccession the donate itemed by selling it, then by all means either strike
the clause or modify it. the modification can be as simple as "...if at some
future date the XYZ Historical Society determines that the donated item does
not ... the donor (and or heirs) will have right of first refusal..." in
other words you as a donor can ask that they item be offered back to you.

I think the key element that is missing here is the failure to educate
donors in what may happen to their item. Would you (or others) feel more
comfortable if the "personal family items" were placed for sale at a local
auction house? Or is it that the item is no longer part of a repository?
this is where the education of the donor and right of first refusal are
important.

Peter A. Kurilecz CRM, CA
Manager, Records Management Group
Woodside Summit Group Inc