Re: on-line auctions / ethics debate

Over on AMIA-L (Association of Moving Image Archivists) the
debate is about the ethics of an email one member received from
Corbis, the huge stock photo/footage house.  I didn't save it
unfortunately but it was to the effect that Corbis had photos and
footage of the tragedy available for sale RIGHT NOW, for a suitable
(and hefty!) fee.  Some of the members of that list felt it was crass
to try to capitalize so soon on such a terrible event, while others
said we should celebrate the bravery of the photographers who
risked their lives to capture the scenes, and isn't that what we're all
here for anyway?  Some felt we shouldn't even be talking about it
but one member--with whom I agree--said they felt that the AMIA
list was a perfect forum for debating the ethics of using images and
footages in this manner. Quite interesting, and more germane to
the profession, or more light than heat, you might say.

If I can find the original message I'll post it, if anyone needs any
more debating today!

Roy

Roy Webb, C.A.
Multimedia Archivist