Re: Oral History Transcripts

Hi,
At the Vincent Voice Library at Michigan State University, we recently
processed a collection of oral history interviews of the Michigan Supreme
Court that was accompanied by transcripts.  Because we are a voice library
(within the MSU Libraries), our priority lies in cataloging the sound
recordings, for which we have created a finding aid with EAD.  Included in
the finding aid is a note that transcripts for the recordings are available.
 A MARC cataloging record is created for the collection of sound recordings,
but not the transcripts, and has a pointer to the online finding aid.  The
MARC record has LC subject headings appropriate for describing the entire
collection and will be uploaded to OCLC in the near future.

We have devoted a few shelves in the voice library for the housing of such
transcripts, along with other print materials relating to our sound
recordings.  Because the shelving of the transcripts is local and limited,
it's easy to label them with the appropriate title so they can be
identified.  However, we often also include the accession number of the
recording on the transcript for clearer identification.

Hope that helps!

Sarah Keen
MIS student-Archives specialization, University of Michigan
Intern, Michigan State University Digital Sources Center