Political discussions

Folks, speaking as a member of the A&A Listserv Committee and as a former list
manager, here's my two cents on how you can help improve the quality of
discussion on this list and deal with off-topic postings that you find offensive
or inflammatory.

Do not respond.  Period.

they were intended to provoke.  Responses to inflammatory postings often create
a chain reaction that result in chaos.

It's incredibly difficult to not respond.  It feels like someone has gotten in
one good whack, and you want to counter.  But, I would argue that if the
original "whack" hits silence, it's been made powerless.

This list was founded on and continues to rely on a belief in individual
subscribers' personal responsibility and their ability to behave in a
responsible, professional, and mature fashion.  As such, the list works
amazingly well, a testimony to its subscribers.  In such an open list (as in an
open society), there are risks associated with individuals who fall short of
these ideals (as well all do on occasion).

I encourage each of you, as you compose replies, to consider whether you are
truly contributing to a thoughtful discussion about the community of
subscribers, the purpose of the list, and the profession.

Richard Pearce-Moses
rpm9@mindspring.com