Re: Public Libraries and Use Fees

Irene,

Here at the Dallas PL we charge about 10% over our cost for prints. This
small "profit" is used for maintenance and collection development for the
historical photograph collection, for which there is NO money allocated from
the city. The charge remains reasonable and affordable for most people
(starts at $20.00 for a 5X7). For those ordering prints for use in a print
publication, we do not charge any extra for a one time use, but we do
require them to deposit a copy of the publication with us and credit the
photograph. The user signs a contract to this effect.

We do charge a copyright fee for film/TV rights - generally about $250 per
image. This fee is in addition to the print fee (some local production/TV
companies come to our facility and film the images). The film fee generally
is reduced for public TV and non-profits.

Hope this helps.

Michael C. Miller
Special Collections Librarian
Dallas Public Library, Texas/Dallas History & Archives Division
1515 Young St.
Dallas TX 75201
214-670-1440
mmiller@dallaslibrary.org
Visit us at: http://dallaslibrary.org
Search our catalog: http://catalog.dallaslibrary.org

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." Isaac Asimov, Foundation.