Re: Let's relax, please

9/13/01

Linde,

     Just wanted to tell you how eloquent and appropriate I felt your remarks were to the archival community about unrestrained nationalism and oppression. You're right on the money re: first world oppression.  That's exactly what the WTO demonstrations on the global economy have been about--access to corporate and governmental information, freedom to discuss and participate in global economic decisions, questions about equality and fairness and safety related to work and employment around the world.

     Democracy should not be just a word brandished around patrioticly whenever the need arises but should be encouraged, promoted and actively supported in the U.S. and around the world.  Has the U.S. done this historically?  We all know this has not been the case.

     I am also sad about the records lost in the trade towers tragedy because we need those records of corporate decision-making for the future.
P.S. Linde, where do you work?

         Sincerely yours,   Lucinda

Lucinda Manning
UFT Archives & Records Center