Re: Gallery Ligbting Advice

Fernanda,

        I'm not sure I can help you much, but thought I would tell you what I know.
While all light will cause fading, it's the U-V rays in florescent lights
which cause the most fading damage, so incandescent lighting is a good
choice.  The trade off is that incandescent lights produce more heat which
can be problematic if you're trying to control temperatures.  I wouldn't,
for instance, put an incandescent bulb in a closed case of focus a spotlight
directly through a glass case without monitoring the temperature inside the
case (even a large wall case).  While low light levels inhibit ability to
see the exhibits, they are better for the materials on exhibit, especially
if these are original items (consider using copies of items if you can. and
will be on "permanent" exhibit.) or if they are on "permanent" exhibit.
Keep in mind, though, that after a few minutes our eyes adjust to lower
light levels and we can see things better.  If you can, lower the light
levels in the approach to the gallery, so people's eyes will begin to adjust
before they enter.  And make sure lights are only turned on when the gallery
is open, not all day, every day just because the rest of the library is open
and lit.  Does the gallery get any natural light?  If so, the more intense
and the more direct the sun's rays are, the more U-V problems you'll have;
window filters are available.

        If you're asking about specific venders, I'm sorry I can't help you there,
but assuming you will be changing the exhibits and thus, the configuration
of cases and items in them, I would look for a system that allows for easy
adjustment of the light direction, use of either flood or spot lights in the
same track, easy removal of (or on/off switches for) each bulb/socket so you
can opt to have some lights out while others are light, and multiple
switches so you can turn on one track and leave others dark.
        Hope this is of help to you.

Catherine Bruck
University Archivist
Illinois Institute of Technology