Re: Student Research web pages

Jan,
        The initial attempt in my own case turned out to be quite problematic in
spite of my best efforts to head off exactly what happened.  In this case,
in a project initiated by a history faculty member, but without prior
contact with me, students were told to search for materials in the archives.
The students were creating a site about the history of one of the
university's historic buildings.  Here are some of the problems that
developed:  The information was inaccurate, with some of the factual
statements being obviously false (particularly disturbing as the site
appears on the university's URL).  The images were mis-labeled or not
labeled at all.   I specifically requested that the archives be credited as
the source of the photos; it was not done.  The project has funding and I
discussed cost with the students in advance, telling them their project
would be billed for "production fees" (producing the images for them) and
"use fees" (permission to post it on the web site).  I billed the academic
department/project, but have yet to be paid.  I was not "invited" to, nor
could I request editorial priviledges, so beyond trying to avert these
problems, there was nothing I could do.  After the site went live, which was
the first time I saw it, I was very distressed.  I worked my way up the
organizational chart, through the administrtive lines available to me to a
vice president in order to get the issue addressed with the appropriate
faculty member.  (The site has since been removed.)

        My advice:  try to establish a formal relationship with the academic
department(s) so that you can have some official oversite and input into how
your college's archival materials can/will be imaged, identified,
interpreted and posted.  Good luck.

Catherine