Re: Student Research web pages

Jan,

It sounds like you've already developed a good relationship with the
responsible faculty member. In my experience, this is the most important
element in this type of project. For some years, one professor here in
Classical Studies had had his Introductory Archaeology classes carry out
projects comprising research in the archives and digs on the campus. When
one student posted her research on his web site, I got his permission to
link to it (see www.duke.edu/web/Archives/history/studentwork.html for
these and other student projects). I go to faculty whose classes have
posted archives-based research, and gotten their permission to link to the
sites. The courtesy of asking is much appreciated by professors.

One issue will be long-term preservation of the research projects.
Appraisal issues aside, these projects are a nice public relations tool for
us.  However, the classics professor we worked with will be leaving the
University next year, and I don't know what will happen to his web site.
I've taken the precaution of saving the student's page to our system. I
don't know how copyright issues would play out if we post it on our site.
However, I would guess it would be considered to have been "published"
already when it was posted on the professor's site. We may have to add a
copyright statement to the page.

Tom
Thomas F. Harkins
Associate University Archivist