Re: Thanks from NYC

Fortunately, there was no damage to the Bank's records.  We are located two
(too) short blocks away from the Trade Center.  The building was enveloped
in the big black cloud that spread throughout the area when the towers
collapsed, and prior to that debris - mainly paper - and ash coated the
entire area.  I did see many shoes on the street when I left the building,
but did not see them falling from the sky after the airplane strikes, so I
assume they were lost by people fleeing the area.  Out buildings' (records
management is currently located down the block from us) HVAC systems were
overwhelmed, and windows throughout the building had been open, so there
was a fair amount of smoke in certain areas.  Ironically, the main
building's exterior stonework had just been cleaned for the first time in
the buildings 80+ year history, but the masons were called back in and
building services has been working around the clock, so that by the time I
returned everything was largely as it had been, apart from some minor
lingering odors.  I believe there was some smoke infiltration into Records
Management's storage areas, but nothing too serious.  The Archives vault is
located in a secure underground room that is not located near any external
walls.  Everything in there is safe, sound, dry and clean.  As an added
precaution, the main building's air filtering system has been upgraded to
improve its ability to remove particulate matter.

Joseph M. Komljenovich
Assistant Archivist
Federal Reserve Bank of New York
joseph.komljenovich@ny.frb.org

Any comments or statements made in this transmission reflect the views of
the sender and are not necessarily the views of the Federal Reserve Bank of
New York.

                    Daniel Sokolow
                    <DSokolow@NSHS.EDU>        To:     ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
                    Sent by: Archives &        cc:
                    Archivists                 Subject:     Re: Thanks from NYC
                    <ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.M
                    UOHIO.EDU>

                    09/28/2001 08:54 AM
                    Please respond to
                    DSokolow

Joe,

On a personal note, of course, I'm glad you're in one piece.  I'm
wondering,
on an archival level, if you might share with us the conditions of the
collections at the bank.

I've spoken to Ira Galtman, the archivist for AMEX, and he has no idea when
he'll be able to get back in to his office.  For those not in New York,
American Express is directly across the street from the site of the WTC -
Ira is sure, as am I, that the windows were probably blown out.  The soot,
debris, and rain have probably been coming directly into the archives
space.
There are going to be some very complicated disaster recovery efforts
needed, assuming he's ever allowed back in the building.

I was out yesterday for Yom Kippur, a day when (among other things) I was
praying for world peace; since it seems I missed more personal attacks,
sniping, probably flag waving, etc., I wondered if I could drag the list
into a semblance of peace with an actual archival discussion.

DS

Daniel Sokolow, Archives Coordinator
David Taylor Archives
North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System
155 Community Drive
Great Neck, NY 11021
mailto:dsokolow@nshs.edu