Re: Moving an Archives

--- Daniel Sokolow <DSokolow@NSHS.EDU> wrote:
> Added to the other concerns are the issues of the environmental
> results of
> new carpeting/tile/painting.  Offgassing from these cosmetic
> changes could
> potentially continue for months after (years, for all I know), and
> the
> chemicals involved are not good for archival collections.

These things are bad for *archivists,* too!

A library where I used to work underwent an expansion project,
building in the late 1990s an addition to their 1930s Egyptianate
masterpiece.  As I was preparing to move to another city at the time,
I could only make a few noises about avoiding "sick building
syndrome," but that is exactly what they built, with all of the
carpets, laminates, wallcoverings, etc, that off-gas harmful
compounds.

A coworker who, before working in the new addition had merely had
allergies, after six months in the new building progressed to
full-blown asthma.

=====
"My heart is moved by all I cannot save:
So much has been destroyed
I have to cast my lot with those
who, age after age, perversely, with no extraordinary
power, reconstitute the world."  -Adrienne Rich
   Cynthia Van Ness, bettybarcode@yahoo.com
   http://cynthia.is-online.net