CONGR PAPERS ARCHIVIST POSITION

Below is the info for a new position in the library of the main campus of
the Univ. of Hawai'i.  (I'm semi-retired, working part-time on the
Matsunaga papers; we now need a full-time, permanent archivist since more
Congressional papers are arriving in the near future.)  The person in the
new position will have a good opportunity to help create part of an
important archives program.  Librarians and archivists have faculty status
(sabbaticals, some faculty governance) and good benefits.  The main
library recently opened a new wing with a floor for archives.

Honolulu has traffic jams and a high cost of living, but it's a great
place to live, there really is an aloha spirit, and there is good food
everywhere.  No need for overcoats and boots, no worries about the car
starting on a winter morning.  Wear sunscreen.
----------------------------------

LIBRARIAN III or LIBRARIAN IV, CONGRESSIONAL PAPERS ARCHIVIST
University of Hawai'i at Manoa Library

Full-time, tenure track, general funds, available January 2002
Closing Date: October 31, 2001

Responsibilities: Under the general direction of the Head, Special
Collections, serves as Hawai'i Congressional Papers Archivist responsible
for all aspects of acquisitions, processing, arrangement, creation of
finding aids, and access to this collection. The Hawai'i Congressional
Papers Collection includes those of Hiram Fong and Spark Matsunaga, and
will include others in the future. Provides consultation and advice to
other archival collections in the Special Collections Department and other
collections in the Library. Works with the Head, Desktop Network Services,
and Head, Preservation Department, on issues of electronic access and
archival preservation. Trains staff and student employees for archival
work assignments. Establishes and maintains relationships with faculty,
students, researchers, staff, donors and the community. Develops outreach
and public programs. Develops grant proposals and assists in fundraising.

Provides reference and research consultation services for the
Congressional Papers Collections and general reference service for Special
Collections which also includes the Hawaiian, Pacific, Charlot, and
University of Hawai'i Archives. Develops instructional materials and
provides classroom instruction.

Minimum Qualifications: At rank of Librarian III: ALA accredited MLS or
international equivalent, Certified Archivist in the Academy of Certified
Archivists or equivalent, with at least three years of experience related
to archival collections in a research library environment, and twenty-four
post-baccalaureate credits in a social sciences or humanities field.

At rank of Librarian IV: ALA accredited MLS or international equivalent,
Certified Archivist in the Academy of Certified Archivists or equivalent,
at least seven years of experience in archival collections in a research
library environment, and a second masters degree in a social sciences or
humanities field.

Desired Qualifications:
Experience and success in grant writing and fund raising
Ability to provide research library reference assistance to the full range
   of library users
PhD in a related social sciences or humanities field
Ability and desire to participate in professional development activities
   at the local, regional and national level
Current knowledge of EAD and RLG archival practices
Experience in the application of computer technology to archival
   description and collection management
Knowledge of digital scanning systems
Experience in digitization of archival material
Demonstrated supervisory ability and experience
Experience with standard desktop software applications
Experience in designing and maintaining web pages
Experience in using electronic information resources including CD-ROM,
   online catalogs, online services, locally mounted systems, and Internet
   based information resources
Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with
   faculty, students, staff, donors, and the larger community
Evidence of ability to work effectively with a diverse user population
Evidence of ability to work in a collegial and collaborative environment
Evidence of ability to work independently
Knowledge or ability in classroom instruction theory and practice
Reading ability in an Asian, Pacific, or European language

Salary Range:
   Librarian III $38,964 to $57,672
   Librarian IV  $47,400 to $70,164

To Apply: Submit letter of application which addresses the minimum and
desired qualifications, resume and names of three references to Personnel
Officer, University Of Hawaii Library, 2550 McCarthy Mall, Honolulu, HI
96822. Interviewees will be expected to make a presentation to library
faculty and staff as part of the screening process.
Inquiries: 808-956-7207. UH is an AA/EEO employer and encourages
applications from female and minority candidates.

|((|  Ellen Chapman
|))|  Archivist for Congressional Papers
|((|  University of Hawaii at Manoa Library
|))|  2550 McCarthy Mall
|((|  Honolulu HI 96822  USA
|))|