Anti-static products for archival use

----------
From: WMNTR@aol.com
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 12:38:50 EDT
To: vmah@keyconn.net
Subject: Re: FW: Anti-static products for archival use

Static cling is something that is quite common with polyester film. If it is
rubbed too much with a cloth, the static will increase. Since the material
is
a new, have you contacted your supplier about the problem?

Sometimes, the static will increase because of low relative humidity.

I have not used the anti-static cloths, but have used the brushes, as well
as
an Ionic(?) cleaner -- an electrical discharge device used by photograph
printers. They seem to work well and should leave no deposit on the film.
Since static is a common problem, you may have to change your method of
inserting the brittle paper. We have used a small, thin, flexible magnet to
hold the film to a metal (steel) surface while we insert the paper held
between two sheets of stiffer paper or cardstock, such as the chipboard
found
on the back of pads of paper. The method might be considered similar to
putting a pizza into an oven. This method works well, especially for getting
the paper into the corner.
Good Luck,
Bill Minter

4364 Woodbury Pike