Conference of Intermountain Archivists/Utah Library Association fall caucus

Please find below an announcement and schedule for the 2001 Fall
Caucus, a joint meeting of the Conference of Intermountain
Archivists and the Utah Library Association.  (I know, I know, most
of you won't come to Utah for this meeting but hey, I'm coverin' all
the bases!)  There is no registration and no fee for this meeting.

ANNOUNCEMENT ANNOUNCEMENT ANNOUNCEMENT

 WINTER SPORTS AND ARCHIVES

October 12, 2001

University of Utah Marriott Library Gould Auditorium

In keeping with the approach of the 2002 Winter Olympics one of

the major  events to occur in Salt Lake City since statehood the

theme of the CIMA/ULA Fall Caucus this year will be  Winter

Sports and Archives.  The meeting is an annual joint program

conducted by the Conference of Intermountain Archivists and the

Utah Library Association s Archives, Manuscripts, and Special

Collections Roundtable.

 Winter Sports and Archives  will be held in the Gould Auditorium of
the J. Willard Marriott Library, University of Utah, from 9:00AM to
4:00PM on Friday, October 12, 2001. With a timely and exciting
lineup of speakers, we will explore the relationship between the
history of skiing and and the historians and archivists who preserve
the records, photographs, and films that help make that history
come to life. At the end of the day, we are happy to offer a tour of
the Utah Ski Archives, one of the most comprehensive collections
on the history of skiing in the country, and indeed in the world.

Scheduled to appear are five speakers in a morning and an

afternoon session. After light refreshments, the three morning

speakers will be Dr. Greg Thompson, director of Special
Collections at the University of Utah; Joe Arave, who started the
Utah Ski Archives oral history program and Alexis Kelner, Utah ski
historian, who will talk about how he has used the Utah Ski
Archives and other repositories for his topic,  Utah Skiing Before
the Engens.  After lunch on your own, the afternoon session will be
devoted to exploring the specialized world of offical Olympic
archives in the  U.S. and Canada. The first speaker will be CIMA
member Mark Jensen, archivist for the Salt Lake Organizing
Committee. Our concluding speaker will be Gladys Serafino,
Coordinator of Collections and Exhibits for the Canada Olympic
Park in Calgary, Canada, who will discuss both the Canada
Olympic Park s  programs and the City of Calgary s extensive
record of the XV Olympic Winter Games, held in Calgary in 1988.

After the scheduled program, we will offer a tour of the Utah Ski

Archives in the Special Collections Dept. of the J. Willard Marriott

Library. The Department, and the Library--given the location in the

middle of the Olympic village--expect to be a major focus for those
seeking information about the Olympics before and during the
games. We are gearing up for this event by collecting, processing,
and exhibiting our ski collections, and are proud to show them off.

We would also like to invite CIMA and ULA members from other

libraries and archives to bring bibliographies of Winter Sports

history found in their repositories, and space will be provided for

distribution of these bibliographies and handouts.

Please join us for what promises to be a very lively and timely

agenda of discussion of the history of what has come to be one of

Utah's major industries, winter sports, on Friday, October 12, in the

Gould Auditorium in  the University of Utah's J. Willard Marriott
Library. For further  information contact Roy Webb, (801) 585-3073,

SCHEDULE SCHEDULE SCHEDULE SCHEDULE

Winter Sports and Archives

October 12, 2001

Schedule

Collections: Welcome, Opening remarks</paraindent></flushboth>

Special Collections:  On Building an
Olympic Archives </paraindent></flushboth>

<flushboth>10:30 - 11:30 AM
Alexis Kelner, historian:  Utah skiing before the Engens </flushboth>

of the Utah Ski Archives Oral History
program </paraindent></flushboth>

<flushboth>12:00 - 1:00 PM
Lunch (on your own, recommendations available)</flushboth>

2002 Olympic Winter Games </paraindent></flushboth>

Canada Olympic Park and the archives of
the 1988 Calgary Winter Olympics </paraindent></flushboth>

Library Special Collections</paraindent></flushboth>

END TEXT END TEXT END TEXT END TEXT

<nofill>
Roy Webb, C.A.
Multimedia Archivist