Re: Archivist documentation of disaster

I heard snippets of the same program while driving to my daughter's school this morning....they interviewed staff at the Smithsonian's American Folklife Center, who when pondering how to respond to and document the September 11 attacks, remembered that Alan Lomax had taken his recorder to the streets of New York (?) on the afternoon of December 7, 1941, interviewing people as to their reactions to the attack on Pearl Harbor.  They played a segment from one such interview, as well as an interview done in the same fashion regarding the September 11 attack.  They also interviewed a professor at Sonoma State University in California, who analyzed the language people used to describe the September 11 attacks.

Fascinating story...wish I could've heard the whole segment.
Brad Bauer
Herbert Hoover Presidential Library-Museum
210 Parkside Drive, Box 488
West Branch, IA 52358
brad.bauer@nara.gov

>>> Richard Pearce-Moses <rpm9@MINDSPRING.COM> 10/04/01 07:53AM >>>
I heard snippets of a story on Morning Edition this morning about an archivist in Hawaii who grabbed a tape recorder and interviewed people right after the attack on Pearl Harbor.  Thought some of you would be interested in the story, given recent discussion about archivists' response to the September 11 events.

Checked the NPR Website, but the stories won't be available 'til after noon today.  Check
    http://www.npr.org/programs/morning/

-- Richard Pearce-Moses
   Director of Digital Government Information
   Arizona State Library and Archives