Archives/Records Center Planning

Dear Listservers,
    I have another question requiring your collective wisdom.  The City of
Manchester, NH is contemplating the conversion of a school into an
archives/records center.  This may not happen for a few years but we would
like to start the planning process.  The school was built at the turn of the
twentieth century and has your typical enormous windows, high ceilings,
wooden floors, etc.  I am against carpeting because of past experience with
off-gassing problems so that won't be an issue.
   What is your experience with HVAC systems for large areas (6,000 square
feet per floor), security, shelving, etc.
   The goal is to present a budget so that the lobbying may begin with the
Board of Mayor and Aldermen.
   Thank you.
                            Sally Stephensen
                            Archivist/RMO