moving images/motion picture

Title: moving images/motion picture

Staff here have raised some questions concerning the cataloging of motion pictures/moving images and I am hoping that  the list can help.  First allow me to state that our database has a field, Object Modifier, which is used for a specific term to categorize the object at hand, it  is intended for a very simple description type from a controlled vocabulary such as the AAT.  There is a field, Object Comment, which is used for a word or phrase which succinctly describes both the object at hand and its function or relationship to other objects that may be in the same object category.  We have one field Medium in which to place a short description of the medium, process, or technique of manufacture, followed by the support or material.

Rightly or wrongly I have been looking at the Moving Images section of the Rules for Archival Description (RAD) to help me work this out.  RAD rule 7.5C2 concerns physical composition and states that you give the physical composition of the base (e.g., nitrate, acetate, polyester (i.e. Estar), etc.) or the carrier layer, i.e. the substance on the carrier layer which actually holds the message (e.g. ferric oxide, chrome dioxide, metal particle coated, aluminum, gold, etc.) of the physical unit.  I can see how this would go in our medium field but is that enough on its own?

RAD rule 7.5B1 mentions specific material designations.  Such as film cartridge, film loop, film reel, video reel, videocassette, optical disc, etc... and I thought these terms would be good in our Object Modifier field but film cartridge, film loop and film reel are not terms found in the AAT (Art and Architecture Thesaurus).  Does anyone know the authority behind these suggested terms in RAD?

Staff here are arguing over terms such as the medium being 8mm, 16mm, 35 mm while some say that belongs in the dimensions field which is what RAD has in rule 7.5D1.  Some want to put the term motion picture in both the Object Modifier and Object Comment field, not sure how helpful that is?  Can anyone offer some suggestions to help me reply to our staff?  I am planning to order the AMIA Compendium of Moving Image Cataloging Practice but would like to get some answer to staff here soon.

Thank you