College and University Archives Question

I've been asked to work with our ITS department to explore issues related to
faculty use of Blackboard course software --specifically maintaining access
to syllabi created within Blackboard (as opposed to syllabi mounted on a
public web site). Has anyone else out there created policies or procedures
for Blackboard?

The main question we are addressing isn't truly archival, in that we aren't
looking to preserve these records permanently, just long enough for tenure
review. Potentially that is 6 years worth of syllabi.  The easiest answer
may be to just keep backup tapes of all Blackboard classes and let future
tenure committees figure out how to get to the ones they want, but we're
also considering ways that faculty could maintain their own files. Any
advice or comments will be gratefully accepted.

Jan Blodgett
jablodgett@davidson.edu
College Archivist and Records Management Coordinator
Davidson College, Davidson, NC