Re: Preservation negatives

I suspect that we will see this more and more. Why? take note of the following article that appeared in yesterday's NYTimes

Why Pros go digital.
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/10/18/technology/circuits/18FOTO.html

by Mark Glaser
FOR years now, digital cameras have been nice gadgets for the amateur photographer. They offer instant gratification in viewing or sending, without the cost of film or development. And they lend themselves to all sorts of other possibilities once the images are transferred to a computer.

But for many professional photographers — the photojournalists who shoot for newspapers and magazines, and studio photographers who specialize in portraits or advertising work — digital cameras have been a harder sell. Some resisted because they found digital cameras insufficiently versatile to justify the cost of professional-quality models. And some remain convinced that only film can provide photography worthy of a magazine cover or a museum wall

But I think the best thing that you can do is to issue an RFP in which you detail your requirements (not to dissimilar to what one would do for a microfilming project), work with the selected vendor to do develop a contract that will work for both sides.

Personally I would take my business elsewhere. I would also ask them to remove all scanned images from their system and to provide proof that this was done.

Peter Kurilecz CRM, CA
pakurilecz@aol.com