Re: FW: Certification Discussion, Fact vs Opinion

Tom wrote:
>>my employer recognizes 139 different professional >>designations

professional certification is being developed more and more by professional organizations for their members. The main thing is that no one is forcing anyone to get the certification. If you are like me and have had 5 positions in the last 20 years (and getting to start with a new company shortly) the professional certifications help immensely in getting a foot in the door.

Not all the certifications are equal. One of the key elements of a professional certification program is the requirement for ongoing education as part of a certification maintenance program. These programs require an individual to stay current or ahead of what is happening in the profession.

To learn more about the ACA program I suggest that individuals carefully review the information at their website http://www.certifiedarchivists.org as well as examining the requirements for the certified records manager program at http://www.icrm.org

A quick search on All the Web using the exact phrase 'professional certification' turned up some links. Check them out.

http://www.alltheweb.com/search?cat=web&lang=any&query=professional+certification&phrase=on

Finally -- this particular thread erupts everyone so often and it too shall pass. No one is forcing anyone to become certified. It is an individual decision, but  I am also getting tired of the naysayers, the anti-certification crowd always putting the certification program down. I don't hear accountants putting down CPAs, I don't hear of non-board certified doctors complaining about board certified doctors. Well enough of my rant.

Peter Kurilecz CRM, CA
pakurilecz@aol.com