Re: Certification

Daniel's statement (see below) on the willingness of employers to look at
an MA even when they ask for an MLS might not be true at an academic
institution where librarians have faculty status. Here at Clemson you
*must*have an MLS (or equivalent) to be a member of the Library faculty; it
says so in the Bylaws. I can attest from being on several search committees
that non-MLS candidates are routinely disregarded. And believe me, we
archivists here have tried to get this changed in the past so MA's could be
considered, only to be rebuffed. I doubt that even an MAS would pass
muster. How's *that* for elitism?  :-)

Jim Cross
Manuscripts Archivist
Special Collections