California GLBT Periodicals Survey -- Long

"Preliminary disclaimer"
This survey is being cross-posted to many lists, in order to get as many
should really consider returning one.  Non-Californian's should just delete
this unless they want to forward it to a Californian friend or colleague.

"Cover letter"
Dear Library and Archives Professionals,

The Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender Historical Society of Northern
California (GLBTHS) is conducting a survey of California institutions
holding periodicals by, for, or about the gay, lesbian, bisexual and/or
transgender communities. Our goal is to create a centralized web-based
catalog of holdings.  This will provide researchers with better access to
these materials, and also aid institutions in clarifying collecting,
preservation and access policies (including a possible microfilming and/or
digitization  project).  We will also be inviting institutions with major
GLBT holdings to attend a regional planning and discussion meeting on
Monday, December 17, 2001.

As a first step we are asking you to fill out the following questionnaire or
forward it on to the appropriate colleague.  Email me at
julia@glbthistory.org if you would like me to send a formatted copy as an
attachment.  You may email the completed survey directly to me or print it
out and mail it.  We would appreciate it being returned by November 9, 2001.
Please feel free to contact me with any questions or suggestions.

This project is being supported in whole or in part by the U.S. Institute of
Museum and Library Services under the provisions of the Library Services and
Technology Act, administered in California by the State Librarian.

Julia Bazar
Special Projects Archivist
GLBT Historical Society of Northern California
973 Market St, Suite 400
San Francisco, CA  94103
julia@glbthistory.org

"Survey"

Contact Name:   _______________________ Contact Number: _____________________
Institution:
Address:
Is your institution:   a pubic library ___, an academic library ___, a
community library ___, or other___.  If community or other are you a glbt
organization?_____
1.      How many gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender periodical titles does your
institution hold?       1-10 ___, 10-30 ___, 30-60 ___, 60-100___, 100-200 ___,
200+ ___.
a.      Are they mass market magazines or newspapers (Advocate, B.A.R.)?
 Less than 10% ___, 10-49% ___, 50-89% ___, 90-100% ____.
b.      Are they regional or local titles?
 Less than 10% ___, 10-49% ___, 50-89% ___, 90-100% ____.
c.      Are they institutional or organizational newsletters?
 Less than 10% ___, 10-49% ___, 50-89% ___, 90-100% ____.
d.      What percentage are:  gay  ____, lesbian  ____, bisexual ____,
transgender  ____?
2.      Are these periodicals?    Pre-1970s ___, 1970s-1980s ____, 1990s ____,
Current _____.
3.      Are these periodicals cataloged?    Yes ____, No ____, Partially ______.
a.      If yes or partially,  how are they cataloged?
In OPAC ______________
     which system do you use?   ____________________________________
In-house database       ______________
      what database system do you use?  ____________________________________
Separate card system    ______________
Other hard copy format  ______________
b.      Do you have MARC records for these periodicals? ______________
4.      Are these periodicals currently listed in any sort of union/shared
catalog or database?    _____
describe        ___________________________________________________________________
5.      Would you be interested in being listed in a statewide database of
institutions holding GLBT periodicals?  ______________
Would you like to see this database included as a part of the California
Digital Library project?        ______________
Would you prefer a stand alone (separately hosted/administered) database?
______________
6.      Would you be interested in coming to a statewide discussion/planning
meeting (tentatively set for December 17, 2001 in San Francisco) concerning
the database and possibly a subsequent microfilming and/or digitization
project?
Yes, I definitely want to attend        ______________
I would like to attend but I am unsure of my schedule   ______________
I would like to attend but would be financially unable  ______________
Send me more information later  ______________
No, I?m not interested in attending     ______________
7.      Do you have a collection scope statement?  _______.   If so please
attach.

8.      How complete are your runs of these periodicals?
Mostly complete/extended runs   _______________
Mostly scattered issues _______________
Other   _______________________________________________________
9.      How many of your GLBT periodicals are
local   _______________
statewide       _______________
national        _______________
international   _______________
10.     What is your retention of these periodicals?
Current edition only    ______________
Current year only       ______________
Previous 1-2 years only ______________
Permanent retention     ______________
11.     Where are these periodicals kept?
In general periodical collection        ______________
In a specialized periodical collection  ______________
In Special Collections  ______________
12.     Do these periodicals circulate? ______________