Re: Certification Discussion

I wasn't going to throw myself into the trenches on this topic, but I just
wanted to remark that many post-graduate certificates are awarded through
history programs and require an MA in history rather than the MLS.  I'm sure
that statistically you are correct in that most are awarded by Library
Science Schools but the fact that we cannot seem to decide where to put our
programs within the university setting may be indicative of a deeper
problem.  Since History programs and Library Science programs have differing
basic approaches to the organization of information, and access to it, it
seems safe to suggest that these differences would extend to the assumptions
about what courses and approaches need to be stressed in the curriculum
leading to accreditation of archival studies in the university setting.
Universities are, internally,  highly politicized institutions, and getting
consensus between departments on anything can be a major stumbling block.  I
wonder how much this contributes to the difficulties we seem to have in
getting archival and public records management programs of study accredited?
Any ideas?
Island County Records and Information Services
 e-mail to asefairfax@co.island.wa.us

 Thoughts and opinions expressed here are my own.