Re: Certification Discussion

Sharon,

We lack a unified approach to anything. We as individual Archivists have
always held that, it might be fine for your collection but the unique nature
of my collection prohibits using that method or some such process. That is
why Schellenbrg remains such an enigma in our profession. He was able to
describe our processes at least theoretically in in such a way as to force,
at least within the majority, acceptance of his principles. This
individuality and sense that each collection is so unique is, I think, one
of the core barriers to acceptance of certification throughout our current
pool of professionals. In such an environment it is nearly impossible to
arrive at a "standard" criteria for an archivist. However, I think that if
we are unable to get there we will have lost another generation of records
to progress. I think that in our case we put the cart before the horse. Had
we had given existing professional archivists a lifetime grandfather status
and pursued a strong regimen of program accreditation we would eventually,
through time, be able to effect the changes that need to occur. As long as
so much opposition exists to such a basic professional principle as
accredited programs and certified professionals, progress remains a pipe
dream.

Just a thought,

Chris Flynn CA CRM
Records Officer